How to Make the Most of Today
Do you sometimes wonder how it feels like when you’re already at the end of your life? Do you wonder what your thoughts are going to be like? Do you think you’ll look back and have regrets? Lost time is something that we can never take back. How do you make the most of today?
I recently lost a dear friend over sarcoma, a rare kind of cancer. She was so young. It got her so fast that we didn’t even see it coming. She looked so healthy last year that it came as a shock to everyone around her. Like those who loved her, I am still grieving. I still kept sending her messages even though I know that no one’s going to answer me back.
A month before she left us, I asked her if there is one thing that she would advise everyone with, what would it be. She said, “Work-life balance, girl.”
We’ve heard the saying, “Life is too short,” so many times before. But sometimes we forget that it is indeed short. We get so preoccupied especially with mundane things that we tend to forget to make the most out of life- or even the most of TODAY. We even forget to enjoy the present moment because we are so caught up worrying about our future and reliving our past and nostalgia.
In Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai’s The Teaching of Buddha, it has been said, “The secret of health of both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment, wisely and earnestly.” Knowing our time is limited makes us value time so much. And when we value something, we’re reluctant to waste it.
The secret of health of both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment, wisely and earnestly. ~ Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai, The Teaching of Buddha
Here are some things that we do that waste our time without us even realizing it:
- Allowing yourself to become surrounded by negative people who suck the happiness right out of you. It pays to make the decision to show these people the door. When all of that negative energy isn’t taking up space around you, you have the space to let in so much positive energy!
- Complaining about the things you have no control over. There are things you can control, and many, many situations that you can’t control. Take control of what you can to make your life better, but stop complaining and worrying about those things you simply can’t control.
- Being afraid to ask for help when you need it will increase those feelings of isolation and aloneness. There is no shame in asking for help, and when you do, you allow someone else the amazing feeling of giving that help.
- Don’t let anyone other than you dictate how you live your life. These people who offer friendly (or not so friendly) “advice” are usually feeling pretty bad about their own situation.
- Chasing money, or happiness of the moment, rather than long-term happiness and the true meaning of life. Money is simply a vehicle that can lead you to those experiences that fulfill you and fill you with joy. Use it for its intended purpose, but don’t chase it just to have more of it.
Related article: Escape the Rat Race: Live the Life of Your Dreams Now
Aside from the list we have above, what other things do you do that make you waste your time? You can write them all down first. Then think of ways on how to make the most of today. What steps do you need to take to live life to the fullest?