Are You Productive… Or Just Busy?
Have you ever observed someone who seems to be busy all the time, but doesn’t really get anything done? Do you feel that sometimes you’re in the same boat? How do you know if you’re productive or just busy?
1. Do you have goals? People who are productive generally have goals and focus all of their work on achieving those goals. Of course, there are always going to be distractions, but those distractions don’t take priority over the big picture.
2. Do you focus or multitask? People who multitask often seem very busy. They’re always doing something, but they’re rarely doing any one thing very well. You’ll be more productive if you focus on doing one thing at a time.
3. Do you delegate? Sometimes you may take on tasks that would really be better to delegate to someone else. If you work alone at your own business, this may be more difficult. But you might be able to delegate personal tasks while keeping the focus on business tasks.
4. Do you say no? People who are productive know how to say no to something that is going to take them away from their own important work. It’s okay to say no when you really don’t have time to fit one more thing.
5. Do you let some things go? It may sound counterproductive to erase some tasks from your to-do list. But you may find that you have given yourself tasks that really won’t move your vision forward and will take up extra time. It’s okay to scratch something off the list and go a different way.
6. Do you have a schedule? People who are productive tend to have a schedule for each day of what needs to be done and when. If you’re not planning ahead, chances are you’re staying busy but not productive.
7. Do you feel at peace? When you spend your time very busy but not accomplishing much, you might feel a sense of anxiety. You may worry about all the things you need to do that aren’t getting done.
But when you’re productive, you can actually feel at peace when it comes to work. You know what’s important and you have a plan to get it done on time.