How to Turn Your Anxiety Into Opportunity
We sometimes experience difficulties that make us anxious and restless. It’s challenging to keep calm when faced with adversities. However, when life gives you lemons, make lemonades! The following tips in dealing with anxiety can help you turn your anxiety into opportunity.
1. Channel your excess energy. You can do something productive to divert your nervous and excess energy. For example, you can declutter your home and do some household tasks. Organizing your things at home can help clear your mind. The KonMari Method is a simple and effective guide to decluttering and organizing. It is a minimalism-inspired method by Marie Kondo, a tidying expert who is the author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.
Tidying up is just an example of what you can do to re-focus your energy. Try to think of other ways. Why not do a garage sale of things that you have tidied up and don’t use anymore?
2. Keep a journal. Write down what you feel. Oftentimes when we get anxious, our bad mood escalates which sometimes lead to lashing out to other people. Try writing down what you feel and what could have possibly caused it. And when your temper has gone down to a rational level, you can share it or even talk about it calmly with the people involved.
3. Exercise. Our body releases chemicals like endorphins when we exercise. Aside from it helping us feel better and happier, exercising can also make us look fit which could boost our self-confidence.
4. Paint. When we say ‘paint’, what usually comes to mind is painting landscapes or portraits. Sure, doing artsy stuff can help a lot, too. But this certain method refers to room painting. You might want to change how your room looks. Try painting your room with these colors to reduce your stress levels.
5. Play a musical instrument. Focusing your excess energy on playing a musical instrument, or learning how to play one, can also help your anxiety. Turn your anxious time into a musical time.
6. Help others. Volunteer at an orphanage or nursing home. Channeling your nervous energy by helping others can take your mind off your worries, give you a different perspective on life, and bring you satisfaction.
These are just a few of the ways you can turn your anxiety into opportunity. Try some of these strategies to help you use that excess energy in a productive way and lessen your anxiety at the same time.